sábado, 4 de outubro de 2008

COFFEE BREAK 2


It’s Saturday. It’s weekend. Let’s have fun.

Do you know Frank Sinatra? Most people do. When I was young boy, 10 or 11 years old. and was begining to learn English, I remember listening to Frank Sinatra at my aunt’s house (her name is Olinda, still a great friend). Many times she asked me to help her try to understand the lyrics. We would listen to the same song over and over again till we could sing together with him. It was great fun. When I was a little older I thought he was tacky (brega). I would listen to James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Janis Joplin. But when I grew up I learned again how to like him because of my late father who would cry listening to him.

So, let’s practice our English today with THE VOICE (That’s his nickname.)

First a QUIZ about him. Find the answers on the web:

- Where and when was Frank born?
-When did he die?
- What was his real name?
- How many times did he marry? Who were his wives?
- Did he have any children? What are their names?
- Frank Sinatra was also an actor. Name at least five films he worked as an actor.
- Name at least ten of his songs.

If you want to know the answers to these questions and know more about this icon, go to the followinf site and find out:


And now here are the lyrics of one of his most famous songs: NEW YORK NEW YORK
Turn on the video and sing with him. But careful. There are words missing. Can you understand the missing words: Next post you will see the full version

New York New York

Start spreading the news, I’m ______________ today

I want to be a ________ of it - New York, New York

These vagabond _____________, they are longing to stray

Right through the very ___________ of it - New York, New York


I want to _____________ ______ in a city, that doesn’t ________

And find I’m _____________ of the hill - top of the heap


These little town blues, are _______________ away

I’ll make a brand new ______________ of it - in old New York

If I can make it _______________, I’ll make it _____________

It’s up to you - New York, New York


New York, New York

I want to _______________ ______in a city, that doesn’t ______

And find I’m a _____________ ______top of the list, king of the hill

the king of the hill


These little town blues, are ______________ away

I'm gonna make a brand new _____________of it - in old New York
And if I can make it _______________, I’m gonna make it anywhere


It’s up to you -

New York New York

New York

Nenhum comentário: