quarta-feira, 26 de novembro de 2008

YOU SHOULDN’T SMOKE. IT’S BAD FOR YOUR HEALTH


O SHOULD é usado principalmente para dar conselhos. Seria mais ou menos equivalente a DEVERIA em português.

Olhe o título do blog.

Um conselho para aquele que fumam (Eu como ex-fumante concordo 100 por cento):

Você não deveria fumar. Faz mal para sua saúde.

Então vamos dar uma olhada em outros exemplos.Look at the pictures and read the dialogues below:


A- I have a terrible headache.
B – Maybe you SHOULD take an aspirin.










A – I am very tired.
B – I think you SHOULD go home and relax.







The negative of SHOULD is SHOULDN’T

– You SHOULDN’T smoke.

– You SHOULDN’T speak Portuguese in the English class.

Now give advice/suggestion to the following: (Use the negative or affirmative)





1. I don’t have any money.











2. I would like to eat a good hamburger with fries.











3. I have a terrible toothache.









4. I am very stressed.









Suggested answers:
1. You should get a job.


2. You should go to Burgerland.


3. You should see a dentist.


4. You should take some days off. (Tirar uns dias de folga)


Is that OK? Did you get it?

And the past? Como no caso do MUST, o passado é formado com o have mais o participio do verbo. E no passado pode também indicar arrependimento.

Example: I SHOULD HAVE studied English. Now I can't get a job.

Situations.









I. You didn’t go to the Halloween party. It was a great party. Your friends come and say:

- You SHOULD HAVE GONE to the Halloween party. Everybody was there.





II. You went to Rio but you didn’t make a hotel reservation. All the cheap hotels were crowded. You think:


- I SHOULD HAVE MADE a reservation.


There are other uses of SHOULD but this are the most used.


AND DON’T FORGET: AFTER SHOULD WE NEVER USE TO.

See you guys next post. Have a good one.

Nenhum comentário: